Mending the Manor
Selly Manor has been in Bournville since 1916. The building is in remarkably good condition, thanks to the care taken in moving it from Selly Oak onto Maple Road. William Harvey, one of the architects for Bournville managed the move, taking photographs during the whole project. The rebuild was done by Charles Mitchell, a stonemason from Tamworth.
Over 100 years later, repairs do sometimes need to be carried out and for this we use specialist craftsmen, Treasure & Son of Ludlow who we have worked with since 2009.
This year, the external rendering of the kitchen wing is being replaced. The work will take about 3 weeks. It's a great opportunity for us to look at the construction of the house and to see what materials and techniques were used in rebuilding the manor. We take photographs of all our repairs as a record of the history of the house.
Our repairs are paid for by generous donations from the George Cadbury Fund.